Close
Cart
You have no items in your shopping cart.
Filters
Saturday, 12 June 2021 9:18:00 PM

Dual battery wiring for engine bay and for the cars boot.

one month ago
#13972 Quote
Hi there.

I have a 2009 3.2 diesel Pajero NT with your 1225 DCDC charger. Both batteries and charger are in the engine bay. Should the second deep cycle battery earth to the main batteries negative post, or straight to a chassis point?

Also, as the Pajero can't accommodate a big second battery under the bonnet, can I run cables to the rear boot/ 3rd seat well terminating with an anderson plug and when going on big camping trips, plug a bigger deep cycle battery in via the anderson plug? So running the 1st small engine bay deep cycle and then a further larger deep cycle battery in parallel, effectively making a big second battery for running the fridge and lights?

David
one month ago
#13976 Quote
Hi David,
As the 09 Pajero does not have a “smart” alternator, you can connect the negative to either point (a Pajero 2012 onwards has a smart alternator and definitely needs any additional negatives be connected  to chassis).
Regarding setting up your 3rd battery, yes, you can do that.
I trust this has answered your question clearly. If you have any further queries, please feel free to post again or call.
Regards, Lex
one month ago
#13978 Quote
Thanks for the reply. Good to know about the alternator.

And recommendations to the cabling size to the rear battery?

Thanks
one month ago
#13982 Quote
Hi David,
The thicker the better, if you want the batteries to charge equally. I would suggest at least 4 AWG. You must ensure you put a fuse at each end of the connecting cable, as close as practicable to the battery positive terminal in each case.
Regards, Lex.
one month ago
#13983 Quote
And could I in theory just run a positive cable and earth it at the boot end somewhere, or best to run a positive and negative from one to the other?
Afterpay. Shop now. Pay later.

All you need to apply is to have a debit or credit card, to be over 18 years of age, and to be a resident of Australia.

Late fees and additional eligibility criteria apply. The first payment may be due at the time of purchase. For complete terms visit https://www.afterpay.com.au/en-AU/terms.