Close
Cart
You have no items in your shopping cart.
Filters
Sunday, 18 April 2021 3:09:27 PM

Towpro Elite Calibration/Problems

8 months ago
#13002 Quote
I have a genuine Holden/Towpro Elite brake controller installed on my Colorado when purchased new December 2017.
Every time I hook up the caravan it wants to calibrate and sometimes can take ages to do so. I understand it operates as user input while doing so but it's a bit embarrassing when it locks up the van brakes at every set of lights in small towns.
Also when it has finally calibrated it works fine for a while but towards the end of our trips it starts applying full brakes and again locks up the caravan brakes. This can be on any power setting even as low as 3 or 4.
Surely this can't be normal. My old Tekonsha Prodigy never did anything like this.
8 months ago
#13003 Quote
Hi Denis,

Thanks for your post.

As a starting point, the TowPro should never reset its calibration when the van is disconnected/reconnected. This only occurs when there is a drop in power to the TowPro itself. This can be due to a faulty circuit breaker, which can 'cycle; power to the unit. Holden do have special programming to power the TowPro only when the ignition of the vehicle is on, but is set to retain the calibration when this happens.

If you are able to check for me Denis, It would be handy to know the product code on the side of the TowPro main unit itself. For a Holden unit, it should have 'CUxx' (x being a number) stamped on the serial sticker there.

Another reason for inconsistent braking can be due to the mounting of the TowPro main unit itself. If the unit is loose under the dash and swinging around whilst driving, this will not be able to correctly apply the brakes in the Proportional mode and you will get brakes sometimes grabbing or no braking at all.

If you are needing to take the vehicle somewhere to get checked out Denis, I'm more than happy to recommend one of our installers local to you to see whats happening.

I trust this has answered your question in full. If you have any further enquiries, please either reply to this post or ring REDARC Tech support on 08 8322 4848.

Best regards,
Andrew
8 months ago
#13013 Quote
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response. I pulled the glove box out and the unit is mounted on a steel bracket and is solid.

I had to undo the bracket to see the serial number as it was in a rather difficult position. The product number is CU3

The Colorado has 7 years warranty which covers the genuine accessories as well so they should be able to rectify it is needed.

Thanks
8 months ago
#13019 Quote
Hi Denis,

Well that is a good start that the unit is securely mounted.

I would ask Holden to have a look at their wiring first if they can; I'm sure they can nut it out!

If you need any further help their Denis, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Best regards,
Andrew
one month ago
#13718 Quote
Hi Andrew,

So yesterday I took my Colorado in for a service at a Holden dealer and asked them to check the brake controller.

Since my last post I have also had an error come up while towing. Yellow light with 2 red flashes. I told the dealer about the 2 issues. When I picked up my vehicle their response was I should check my caravan wiring first. Sounds like a cop out to me.

Also the recalibration issue has happened on 2 caravans. My old Jayco and my brand new Essential caravan so I don't think the caravan wiring is the issue.

Are there diagnostic checks they can do without a trailer connected?

Thanks

Denis
one month ago
#13723 Quote
Hi Denis,
Thanks for that extra information there.

We definitely can check the operation of the TowPro with a test light or even an indicator bulb (21W rated). See our official procedure on how to go about this here.

The yellow/2 red flash code relates to a short circuit on the Red brake light wire, so potentially could be an issue around the trailer plug wiring, or somewhere between this point and the TowPro itself.

See how you get on Denis and let me know!

Best regards,
Andrew
Afterpay. Shop now. Pay later.

All you need to apply is to have a debit or credit card, to be over 18 years of age, and to be a resident of Australia.

Late fees and additional eligibility criteria apply. The first payment may be due at the time of purchase. For complete terms visit https://www.afterpay.com.au/en-AU/terms.