Warenkorb (0)
Sie haben keine Artikel im Korb.
Filter
Donnerstag, 27. Januar 2022 06:38:53

BC1225D + solar + jump start

2 Monate ago
#20004 Zitieren
Hello,

I've recently bought BCDC1225D and SBI12D, planning an install into Toyota Land cruiser 100, model HDJ100, year 2007. If that matters, car has factory dual battery, with 12V/3000W starter, third battery will be in the trunk.

Idea is to use "new ultimate dual battery setup" as described here --> https://www.redarc.com.au/bcdc-dual-with-jump-start-feature-the-ultimate-battery-setup, to achieve:
- add 3rd battery for leisure (fridge, inverter, camp light) and isolate it from main batteries
- have option to jumpstart leisure <-> main batteries to help crank the engine if main batteries go flat
- have option to connect solar panels to charge leisure AND main batteries

Questions:
- do I need to connect blue wire or not?
- is SBI12(D) capable enough or would I need SBI212(D) taking into account idea of jumpstart & cranking amps?
- do I need SBI12 or dual sensing SBI12D? Wouldn't dual sensing SBI end up charging leisure battery with BCDC?

Thanks,
Andrej
1 Monat ago
#20009 Zitieren
Hi there,
Thanks for your post.

A 1225D is definitely a good idea to take care of that third battery in the rear of the vehicle - would recommend this setup to get the most out of your system.
The only thing I wouldn't recommend is trying to jump-start the vehicle using that rear battery - it is quite a long way away from the front batteries and would need massive, thick cable to be able to provide this amount of current. Ideally we have this jump-start scenario if the batteries are in the engine bay together.

For 'charging back' to your Start battery and Aux battery when using Solar in the BCDC, we have devised a way to do this. See more info on this below:

You can utilize the SBI you have there to work, along with a couple of relays too.

See what you think there and please let us know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Andrew
1 Monat ago
#20010 Zitieren
Hello Andrew,

thanks for answer.

What about the blue wire?
What about SBI12 vs SBI212 (current wise)?
What about SBI12 vs SBI12D (would dual sensing capability mess with BCDC's charging?

I can't put third battery anywhere in the engine bay, it's all crammed with accessories (pre-filters, webasto, etc). I'll have to live with thick cable - do you have any recommendations?

Best regards,
Andrej
1 Monat ago
#20016 Zitieren
Hi again,

You would probably be better suited to a SBI212 as it more heavy duty rated for your vehicle (up to 200A). You wouldn't need a 'D' model SBI - the standard 212 is fine as we are not properly using the dual sensing part of it anyway.

If you are meaning the Blue wire of the SBI - it is not required in this setup.

For cable, you'd need something like 0 B&S cable at a minimum. This is why we don't normally recommend it as the thickness and heaviness of the cable is too great and channeling this cable through the vehicle isn't ideal.

Best regards,
Andrew
1 Monat ago
#20021 Zitieren
Thanks.

I was referring to blue wire of BCDC unit and conundrum of Temperature Compensating vs Variable Voltage or “smart” alternators... but I guess we can't omit the connection of BCDC's blue wire in any case with the above scenario as it controls the behavior of relays... right?

One more question... (bear with me, I am no expert): BCDC1225D obviously charges with up to 25 amps... while Optima batteries *seem* to take only 10 amps from the charger - excerpt from their web page:

Recommended charging information:

Alternator:
13.65 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery Charger:
13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, for approximately six to twelve hours.

Cyclic Applications:
14.7 volts, no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). When current falls below one amp, finish with two-amp constant current for one hour.

Rapid Recharge:
Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated), no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below one amp.

Float Charge:
13.2 to 13.8 volts, one amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).
Strictly adhere to all limits.

I am sure I am not the first one wondering about that; what are your experience, guidelines, recommendation with that?

With best regards,
Andrej
1 Monat ago
#20023 Zitieren
Hi Andrej,

Sorry, yes I see the BCDC Blue wire is critical in this wiring to be able to be Ignition controlled by the dual relays. This mainly is used to cut the input to the BCDC so as it won't create a loop between the Start and Aux batteries.

Optima batteries are usually strict on their specifications, so what you have posted there is quite normal. Being that it is cyclic use that the battery is being used for, using a 25A charger is perfectly fine. The other option is to get in touch with them directly and run it past them.

Thanks again Andrej!

Best regards,
Andrew